Foolproof Mouse Prevention Tips For Modesto Residents
December 15, 2021
Great food, entertainment, and quality accommodations are just a few of the experiences that make Modesto an attractive place to visit. The local house mouse is a frequent visitor in the Modesto area that likes excellent food and quality accommodations. If Modesto residents are not careful, they will provide the right living conditions that invite house mice to stay.
What Everybody Should Know About House Mice In Modesto
If you happen to run across a mouse scurrying across your floor, you might have a house mouse. They are the mice most commonly found inside most homes in the United States.
Six markers that can help homeowners identify house mice include:
- They measure between 2½ inches to 3¾ inches (tail adds between 2 ¾ inches to 4 inches).
- Their color usually is dusty gray with a cream-colored underbelly.
- Four legs support a rounded body.
- They have a pointed muzzle.
- Their eyes are small.
- Their ears are large with tufts of hair on them.
Humans have been encroaching on rodent territory for a long time. With the increase of human dwellings in the house mouse’s natural habitat, the lure of accessible shelter, food, and moisture has increased their dependency on us.
What Problems Can Mice Cause In A Modesto Home?
House mice infestations are not a small problem; they are a BIG problem. They present a two-fold problem for homeowners.
- Damage to woodwork
- Potential fires from chewing through electrical wires
- Damage to insulation from burrowing
- Damage and contamination of food items
- Soiling of stored materials from urine and feces
- Transmission of diseases such as bubonic plague, rickettsia pox, tularemia, and salmonella
- Musty odors and dust from feces can trigger allergies and asthma
- Transportation of other pests into your home
- The house mouse is so tiny that it is hard to keep out of a house. Any dime-size crevice, void, gap, or crack can be an open invitation for a house mouse to enter. House mice multiply quickly; therefore, they are challenging to remove.
Secrets To House Mice Prevention In Modesto
House mice will leap at any opportunity to enter a home that offers it what it needs. Homeowners must keep an eye out for weaknesses in their home’s defenses.
Three ports of entry that allow easy access to the inside of your home include:
- Gaps where utility cables, vents, and pipes come into the house
- Wood frames around windows and doors
- Chimneys and vents that allow access to attics or crawlspace
Preventative steps homeowners can put in place to prevent house mouse entry include:
- Ventilating basements, attics, and crawl spaces
- Covering vents with metal screens and chimneys with caps
- Sealing cracks and gaps with silicon-based caulk or steel wool
- Repairing any leaky drains and pipes
- Keeping your home clutter-free
- Storing food in metal or glass containers with tight lids
- Removing garbage frequently; securing outside trash bins with a tight-fitting lid
- Keeping firewood stored at least 20 feet from your home
- Trimming tree limbs overhanging the roof
The Best Way To Remove House Mice From Your Modesto Home
With a house mouse’s ability to breed and increase its presence in your home exponentially, you need to call in the rodent professionals at Peace of Mind Pest Control. Our pest professionals offer one-time and recurring treatment options that fit your individual needs. Our technicians will treat you with the care and professionalism you deserve. Contact Peace of Mind Pest Control and let us give you the “peace of mind” you deserve.